Headings around/ Aug-07

Facebook sues two app developers for click injection ad fraud

Zack Whittaker@zackwhittaker / 13 hours ago Comment

click fraud

Facebook  has filed lawsuits against two app developers accused of generating fraudulent revenue using the social media giant’s advertising platform.

The company announced the legal action in a blog post Tuesday.

“The developers made apps available on the Google Play store to infect their users’ phones with malware,” said Jessica Romero, director of platform enforcement and litigation. “The malware created fake user clicks on Facebook ads that appeared on the users’ phones, giving the impression that the users had clicked on the ads.”

The scheme uses a technique known as click injection, which relies on apps fraudulently generating ad clicks without the user’s knowledge to artificially inflate the amount of ad revenue. It’s a problem previously noted by security researchers. Often, developers create junk or easy-to-make apps which get downloaded millions of times, while in the background they’re clicking on invisible ads without the user’s knowledge.

Facebook said in this case two developers, LionMobi — based in Hong Kong, and JediMobi — based in Singapore — generated “unearned payouts” from the social media giant’s advertisement system.

By our count, the app developers have seen more than 207 million installs to date. The apps remain on Google’s app store. Google did not immediately comment.

The social media giant said it refunded impacted advertisers.

A Facebook spokesperson did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Violent weekend in Toronto draws attention to missed opportunities to make city safer

By Jennifer Pagliaro City Hall Bureau
Wendy Gillis Crime ReporterTues., Aug. 6, 2019

Critics and community advocates say the city must move quicker to create safer communities after a long weekend that saw an unusual spike in gun violence across the city.You have reached your limit of free stories.

Unlimited access to the Star’s leading progressive journalism on thestar.comNeed Help? Email customer service starsupport@torstar.ca or call 1-855-687-5915between the ET hours of 6am- 8pm weekdays; 6am-5pm weekends.

Sentencing begins for man convicted of manslaughter for 2012 Eaton Centre mass shooting

By Paola LoriggioThe Canadian PressTues., Aug. 6, 2019

Relatives of those killed or injured in a daytime shooting at Toronto’s Eaton Centre say they remain fearful seven years after the attack.

Toronto police board approves ‘special constables’ for busy intersections

By David Rider City Hall Bureau ChiefWed., July 31, 2019timer1 min. read

Only approval from the Premier Doug Ford government stands between non-police “traffic agents” and Toronto’s busiest intersections.

As manhunt drags on, Chynna Deese’s family worries they might never get answers if suspects aren’t caught alive

Alex McKeen

By Alex McKeenStar VancouverTues., Aug. 6, 2019

VANCOUVER—Two burnt cars. Surveillance footage more than two weeks old. “Several items” found along a Manitoba shoreline.





Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.